I detest the taste of store bought Rice Krispies treats, especially when they are SO easy to make! They are the first dessert I reach for at a party. The recipes below are both actually brown butter Rice Krispies treats. I went through a brown butter stage, and brown butter really gives depth to an other wise ordinary Rice Krispies treats taste.
You will need Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal, new Captain Crunch Sprinkled Donut Crunch cereal, salted butter, marshmallows, and vanilla extract.
For the Sprinkled Donut Crunch Rice Krispies Treats
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter over low heat till the butter browns at the bottom, and smells like caramel. Take off heat as soon as the bottom is brown. The butter should not be black.
- Add 4 cups of mini marshmallows to the saucepan with the brown butter, and stir till all the marshmallows are melted.
- Add 5 cups of Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal, and 1 cup of Captian Crunch Sprinkled Donut Crunch cereal to the marshmallow mixture, and stir till all the cereal is coated with the melted marshmallow.
- Spread with a buttered spatula into a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with softened butter, or you can just put some parchment paper, or wax paper down, and spread the Rice Krispies treats on the paper, if you don’t have a pan.
- Cool and cut into squares.
For Regular Brown Butter Rice Krispies Treats
- Follow the recipe for the the Sprinkled Donut recipe above, but before adding the Rice Krispies to the marshmallow mix, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and not pictured above, but you can also add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon for even more depth.
- Next, add 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal to the marshmallow mixture, and stir till coated.
- Follow steps 4 and 5 of the Sprinkled Donut Rice Krispies to finish.
This recipe is really simple! It’s hard to eat just one!
What recipes have you tried lately? Also, what recipes would you like to see me post? I still have a cake pop recipe to share.